Friday, July 23, 2010

Nightmare - July 2010


Saturday and rain. What a combination!! No better excuse for lazing in bed for the better part of the morning. My cracked ankle had made me immobile and working from home for the last 21 days. SD4 surprised me and my colleagues last afternoon with a cake to celebrate the 20th day of my leg in a cast. 'What a family!' enthused my friends,'You guys, need some reason to celebrate.' My lunch gang (9 of them) in their casuals took time out to have lunch at home and it was awesome with Oly rolling and lunging at them. Squeals of happiness, fear, and wonder at Oly's (our lab) unconditional love and the 'Mmmm finger-licking delicious Karan's Biriyani and Chicken 65' made the hour pass so quickly. The gang returned to the office and me back on my lappy and VPN. Connected yet soooo disconnected. Miss all the action/inaction of the office. July 2nd, the day this Humpty Dumpty slipped and fell a mighty fall, can be termed as one of my worst days. SD3 was quick to assess the cause of my fall. '' As usual, Ma must have been smiling and wishing someone and not minding her own business''. That was the holy truth. I remember calling out 'a la mode Mrs. Gandhi ' "Hi Srini ''. The next moment I was on the floor. My ankle hit the bottom step and the dull thud, not unlike the sound of a ripe ('ripe?') coconut cracking open. ( Pssst, my ears were almost at the same level as my ankle ). Finally, pain superseded my embarrassment. (I realized I was grinning a foolish grin) All this while my friend Srini was in shock and staring down at me. Others from all around reached me faster than him. I have to thank my good friends and a Ricksha guy who even forewent some loose change because I did not have any. SD4 took me to the hospital . ''3 cracks and a possible dislocation'' the doc said. 'Lady, you got to slow down.' Horrid words. SD4 has been in charge of me from that fateful day and has been doing an excellent job. She just cannot stand my voice now. Haha. I am a terrible person when I am tied down. It is nothing new. The female version of what Satish is in Office. He is the 'Raging Bull'. Impatient, impulsive, rearing to go. Another fortnight to remove my cast. 'Torture!' smiles SD4. Mornings go by gaily. Nights are nightmarish. (Pain and the Itch)I imagine maggot families thriving on my flesh. I spray Baygon to keep the Creepy Crawlies away. I must thank Tejas Menon someday. His incessant chatter on Radio 1 and the songs he plays brighten up my life till 1 AM.
Something I learned- Blood is thicker than water. Because after 1 it is only SD4, Oly, and me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment