Saturday, July 31, 2010

DAV PUNE

5 years in Pune. WOW! The 5 year break sounded like music to my ears after the hectic 9 year stint in COIMBATORE.Soon boredom hit me and so did a total sense of uselessness. How long would this cooking for Sanjay , Mustu ,Balaji and Barni go on? Chottu the helper/cook was more than ready to do everything. This added to my sense of uselessness. I apprecate homemakers, but, I realized that I was not made for being just a homemaker. I needed the excitement of doing a million other things and feel useful at the end of the day. To make matters worse, the sound of children playing and yelling from across the wall was a sign from up above that teaching was what I was made for. Chottu, who was 'boy Friday' never let me out of his sight when I was outdoors.I ventured out to DAV (next compound) with Chottu faithfully behind me, to try my luck. Being September, I thought the next academic year would fit me fine. Imagine my luck when the principal asked me to go for a test the same day and if a Demonstration would be fine the next morning. I was tipsy with joy. Few months of sitting and twiddling my toes at home made me forget that my resume was a hot one. With years of teaching experience behind me, the Demo was a cake walk and on October 3rd 2007 I was the English Teacher in DAV Public School. One of the best schools in Pune. I bloomed there. The children loved me just as much as I loved them. I was the class teacher of 4th A. Teaching the lower class was a new experience. I have always taught sixteen plus and seventeen plus.I had just grown absolutely fond of my kids there when, the news came that I should be taking on 8th C. The bigger kids in Pune are a handful. They are wonderful if they love the teacher and can be a pain if they hate the teacher. Fortunately for me, I had a wonderful time with the students. The School Annual day program was a big hit. The whole school had to participate in the Indian War of Independence. A series of incidents all put up together beautifully by the teachers to culminate in the British handing India over to its rightful people. My children and I had the time of our lives. I was so involved with the kids that I remember wearing a completely different colour than the ones the teachers( i was the vociferous one of them all) had decided upon. Half way down the show the Principal stopped whatever she was doing and gazed at me and I realized that I had forgotten all about the color code for the teachers. That year went by and my class board exams went well and I was sitting pretty. The next year I was the tentative class teacher for 8th C for the pre holidays session. we welcomed the month long holidays in May and in June when the teachers assembled for the meeting, I was not surprised when the Principal said that some parents had voted for me not to be removed from 8th C. And then the fun began. I think I had the best time of my life in Pune there in DAV as the class teacher of the best class in school. 8th C was everyones favorite. I had a medley of students. Brilliant and naughty , we were the cynosure of everyones eyes. I can never forget those 4 months. Yes, it is sad but I quit in September with a lot of memories.The open day and The Picnic are two wonderful days I cannot forget. I still remember the parents trying their best to make me stay. With the children screeching for PT almost everytime. I can happily say that the children enjoyed those days just as I enjoyed being there. 2008 Friendship day is an unforgettable day with my right arm almost filled with gay multi coloured ribbons. With tears I left DAV for an offer at CREDITPOINTE Services. But what's unforgettable is the 'fun we had'.. :)

1 comment: